Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Selflessness

SELFLESSNESS...THOUGHTFULNESS...

These are things that I need to learn. I'm not really a bad person. People say that I'm a really good guy. I think I am too. But... it's just that kindness does not occur to me naturally. It's hard to figure out why.

Today a friend visited our house. He needed to borrow something from me. We chatted for a few minutes, shared a few laughs... and just as he was going out the door to say goodbye, my wife told me... "BB, we bought a lot of pineapples last weekend. Let's give one to our friend so he can bring it home." "Sure!" I replied. I went towards our dining table to get the biggest pineapple that we had, and then gave it to my friend. He went home smiling. It's really a nice feeling when someone gives you something.

My wife is a natural giver. Oh! And I love her more for being like this! But I was just thinking...
Why was my wife able to come up with the idea of giving something to our friend, and I did not?

I guess I'm just really self-centered and selfish, and I usually think for myself first than for others.

For many, thinking of other people's needs just seem to be automatic. For me, it's quite hard. I need to concentrate on situations before I can tell what people need. For these past few weeks, I've been trying to figure out why. This isn't the first time I've been tagged as "selfish". Well, as of now, I think I have a bit of a hint. It's probably how I have dealt with people ever since I was young. I was a bit choosy with my friends. I didn't hang out with a lot of people. You could say I'm the kind of person who usually has more time alone than with others. It's hard for acts of kindness towards other people to come naturally, when you've been used to just dealing with yourself almost all the time.

Lesson for the day: Try to think of others more than yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment